Teacher: Jennifer Landa
School: Ridgewood High School
Location: Ridgewood, NJ
Lesson: Limited Physicality Study
One Semester Course – PEARLS Project Unit
- Limited Physicality Study
- Poem Study
- Portrait Study
- Solo Portrait Study
- Group Piece
- Students will be exposed to handicapped dance
- Students will be able to create movement using limited physicality
- Students will be able to create a short dance study using limited movement vocabulary
- Students will be able to recognize the beauty and power in dance with limited physical capability
Duration: 4 Class periods
Materials: Music, Props as necessary, Mirror, Video
- Students are exposed to the idea of handicapped dance
- Students view video of different handicapped dance – dancers in wheelchairs, dancers with missing limbs, dancers who are deaf, etc.
- Students reflect on what they have seen
- Students create movement with limited physicality
- Students create a movement vocabulary within a physical limitation
- Students are paired up to create a duet using their limitation and vocabulary
- Students perform duets
- Students and teacher give feedback on performance of duets.
- Students reflect on the beauty of this type of dance and what it means to have a physical handicap.
Student Outcomes/Assessment: By the end of the lesson the students will have created a duet study using limited physicality. They will be able to create choreography for students with limited physical ability and they will be able to use a limited movement vocabulary to create dance. They will be assessed through verbal and written feedback, both self-assessed and teacher assessed.