My February!

My February!

Days 32-58 of 365 Days of Me

Wow! Where has February gone? Only one more day and it will be March. I am so behind on my blog but it’s only because I have had the flu, a seizure and some other medical issues and my mom has been super busy taking care of me. I was very sick and before my illness began my neurologist had asked my mom to decrease my seizure medication for one week and then stop it for one more week after. I was having some side effects and the only way to know if my medication was causing these side effects was to stop it. My mom followed directions then I caught the flu. I was feeling ill for about two weeks. Near the end of week two, I woke up at 5:00 AM one morning, went to the kitchen and sat down on my mat. My mom got out of bed and checked on me. My head was hanging down and she thought I was asleep, but I wasn’t. I was awake. I just didn’t feel well. I got up because I thought I wanted a car ride but then I changed my mind and went back to sit down in the kitchen. My mom sat with me because she didn’t want to leave me alone and because she found my behavior a bit odd. Then, at 5:54 AM, I looked at my mom, made a sound and began to have a tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure. My mom called out for my dad while she helped me lay my head down on the floor. It lasted for two minutes and after it stopped, I was very sleepy, so my dad picked me up and placed me in bed. I slept for two hours after the seizure while my mom laid down next to me just so she could make sure I was breathing. My mom notified my neurologist that my side effects had improved but that I had also experienced another seizure. My medication was then changed and now I take the new medication once in the morning and once at night. A part of my evening routine is to take my medication via a syringe, so this hasn’t been a big deal for me, and I take it without any issues. I don’t, however, usually take medication via a syringe in the morning so lately each time I see my mom coming towards me with the syringe, I yell and then refuse to take it. This has been quite a battle every morning before I go to school and my mom ALWAYS wins because she loves me, wants me to feel better and doesn’t want me to have more seizures. I guess I will eventually get used to it.

February hasn’t been ALL too bad. I was able to go to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Barbeque Cook-Off with my school class and I saw one of my favorite people there – Ms. Suzette! She was dressed like a rodeo clown. Next month I will be going back to the rodeo to see the Zac Brown Band with my mom, dad and friends of chromosome 18.

One Comment

  1. Positive Exposure February 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm - Reply

    WOW Sammie: What a month you had. We are all so glad youre feeling better!

Leave A Comment