New Chair

New Chair

It’s been a little more than a week since I received my new wheelchair.  At first I didn’t like it.  :( We lowered the seat so that it was easier for me to get in and out but then I was too low.  I felt lower in this chair than my other one and it was hard to press elevator or automatic door buttons.  I was freaking out because I thought lowering the seat was something that couldn’t be undone.  Luckily I was wrong!  I met with the tech on Friday who was able to raise the seat back to its original height.  The other big change with this chair is a new seating/cushion system.  The seat and back cushions are pretty neat because they work similarly to memory foam.  But instead of foam it’s little air pockets that can be inflated and deflated using something like a bicycle pump.  The seating system will hopefully address my pain issues.  These cushions are supposed to “mold” to me without limiting my movement.  Adjusting the amount of air in the cushions will provide more or less support.  So we shall see…

I am a little bummed because my new chair doesn’t have the kind of armrest I wanted.  My other chair has a storage compartment built into the armrest.  It flips up to reveal a “secret” area where I can store my phone, pens, pencils etc. The tech is looking into ordering it for me.  Apparently it’s ridiculously expensive: over $400.  It’s so frustrating that accessories like this to help me be independent are expensive.  This is one accessory that’s worth it.  I used the storage area every day.

Work is going alright.  I went to a training yesterday at another building which was an adventure.  It was another university building so I was able to take the university’s paratransit.  It was very easy.  The bus picked me up at my office, drove me over to the main entrance of the cardiovascular center building.  My sister Cara actually rode with me so that she could help me find the meeting room.  She was silly and took a picture (see below) that she sent to my parents when we were on the bus. :)  In the picture I was reading the group text conversation between all of us. Haha.  We arrived with about 45 minutes to spare (I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time).  The building was so pretty- lots of windows and sunlight.  There was a small café area where I was able to get a cappuccino.  :)  I ate my lunch and hung out for a little bit.  Cara walked me to my meeting room to make sure I was all set and then left to walk around campus.  After my meeting ended I called Cara and she was walking back so we could ride the paratransit bus back over to my work building.  It was very convenient because then we could just load up and head home for the day.  The parking is much better there.  It’s free.  You have to pay when you park at many of the health system’s garages.  Now that Cara has gone with me once I think I’ll be able to go to the other 2 sessions on my own.  I usually prefer to have someone go with me the first few times I have to do something like this because of my vision.  Sometimes I have trouble seeing room numbers and finding my way in unfamiliar areas. :(

I will post again soon- my office is almost done getting settled!  I am really happy about that.  I can’t wait to share pictures. :)

Have a great week!

<3 Rebecca

New Chair.1 New Chair.2 New Chair.3 New Chair.4 New Chair.5

One Comment

  1. Positive Exposure November 4, 2018 at 3:13 pm - Reply

    SO fancy!!!!! Love your new wheels!!!!!!!!

Leave A Comment